As I think of things that I could blog about my mindset is such that everything has an eternal perspective. Not just because it is Sunday, (although that helps) but also the place that I am at in my life. Decisions I make today and the way I decide to spend my time will effect my entire life.
When I was making the decision whether I should go on my mission or stay home I was in an interview with President Warner. I came home and wrote down some of the things that were said. He counseled me to keep a journal. He said to learn all I can learn from this experience and that maybe dad's pain and suffering is for a learning tool for us as much, or more than it is for him. He counseled to pray for learning and understanding of the things that I need to learn from this trial. That was very personal council.
As I sat in church today we were asked as one of our ward goals to keep a journal. Not only for us, but for our posterity. I don't think anyone would want my journal, but then I think about how much I love to read our family journal. Even though it only has a few entries they were always at the new year and stated the things that we had learned/done that year. I love reading this! I wish there were more entries. I would love to have a journal that my mom or dad had kept when they were growing up!! As much as I don't want to keep a journal, I know that it is inspired council and that I need to do so.
Naturally this is my favorite entry from our journal:
December 27, 1987
Mom-?, Dad-37, Ricky-7, Cammie-3, Katie-3 mo., and Gramma-27. My Grandma turned 27 every year.
Dinner: Steak, potatoes, bread, pop, crackers, cheese ball, french bread, pie, cookies, and enfamil with iron.
Movies: Crocodile Dundee or "Croko Diet Dundee" -Cammie
This year we got a new sister...Katie. Born September 23rd at approx 1130 a.m. Due September 26. Full name Mary Katherine Shumway. She had dark blue eyes, light reddish brown hair and weighed 8 # 14 oz and was 21" long. Dad says she looked like a little "boxer"--she was swollen! Cuter every day! She smiles and talks her own language, her laugh "came in" and likes to stand on laps and squeal. She loves to eat. Hahaha! Some things never change! She is a happy pleasant baby and is growing rapidly. Looks pretty in pink and ribbons.
[There are other updates on the rest of the family, but since this is my blog, these are my updates!]
Next entry is January 6, 1992
Mom-38, Dad-41, Ricky-11, Cam-7, Katie-4
Home Evening
Dinner-a favorite, spaghetti, salad, bread, milk, and cookies
Katie goes to pre-school at the hospital and loves her friends Kimmie, Yannich, Michael, and Jason. Her teachers are Patty, Kelly (the one that got married) and Kellie (the one that's going to get married--can we go to her wedding?) Miss Lisa, and Tangee. She likes to go on field trips and play with toys and friends. She loves to help with the babies and doesn't like to miss "awrt" (art) She cut her hair "all by herself" and I remember blaming in on my shampoo making my hair fall out and wants to be a "hair-cutter" or a teacher when she grows up. She plays teacher and puts lots of kids in time out. She has been a Sunbeam this year-Sister Taylor was her teacher again. (also in nursery) She loves to give talks into the microphone on the cedar chest. She gives good gospel sermons. She thinks she is quite grown up and has ideas of what she likes and dislikes in the clothing realm. She still has her pretty blonde hair which she doesn't like to curl. She weighs 55#.
January 4, 1993
Katie is our pretty five year old. She still goes to UVRMC pre-school. Her teachers are Miss Patty, Miss Lisa, Miss Chelsey, and especially loves Miss Mary Ellen. She got baby "aborn" for Christmas and Barbie folding house. Loves to play house, McDonald's, Master Cuts (How may I help you) and especially loves babies. Grandma says she gets prettier all the time-she looks like her mom. She had a sleepover with Kimmie and Lyndsey for her birthday party. She had a huge family party complete with a bear ballerina birthday cake. She loves to dance and sing. She is learning to read letters and sounds. She works hard at writing and has good penmanship. She loves to draw and color and a lot of paper makes her happy. Her new year's resolution is "not to bug Cam." There wasn't enough room for Ricky. Keeps her clothes on better. She wants to grow her hair long and loves story and song tapes to go to sleep with. She sleeps in her own bed most of the time and is a bed "pigletta." She is a happy girl but sometimes doesn't like to mind and says no. Sometimes like to try to loosen her teeth for the tooth fairy. Likes to do jobs and help...especially when not asked. She loves gum, chips, and pop. She weighs 60#.
January 3, 1994
Katie-76# @ 6 years old.
Started Kindergarten with Mrs. Norton and Mrs. Shelley. She was happy to go and loves it so much she doesn't want to go off track! She is a teacher's aide at UVRMC pre-school. Always helping at the front desk or with the babies--the tinier, the better! She always wears her apron. Had big sleepover at pre-school and Cam came. Loves to be a little mother to everyone. Loves to do hair and is a "master" at braiding. She has had three "perns" this year, the last one a spiral so it would last longer. Still wants longer hair. Got "triplets" that "fuss and giggle" for Christmas. She especially loves Mae Mae and pre-school and plays mostly with Kimmie and Lindsay. She and Kimmie spend lots of minutes on the phone when they're not at school. I still remember Kim's phone number 756-7654. They also spent their whole pre-school Christmas Program hand in hand. Had her 6th birthday party in new house with mostly new friends. Sister Rail was a great Star B teacher-now a CTR A-getting her ring next week. She is a pack rat! She packs any bag with things and stuff. She is a bad bed pig and has to sleep in her own bed or on the floor. She is hard to wake up-when she wakes up by herself she is happy. Cam says she is fun to play with-evidently fun to tease. Screams and squeals regularly. Scratches frequently. Sometimes not a very good minder and does "talk back." Draws, writes, and plays store. Resolution--work hard on "not bugging brothers."
I love going through the journal! Apparently I had a hard time not bugging my brothers as that was a recurring resolution. I asked my dad where the journal was and he suggested that we write in it this year. I said that would be ok, as long as we don't write everyone's weight down again!
1 comment:
Katie this is awesome! Makes me think i need to start writing in my journal again. I look back every so often at the ones i had in elementry school and love reading about Ms. Walls class! Good times. Love you girl.
Post a Comment