Tuesday, April 21, 2009

ENGLISH 150 FINAL

For my final we were asked to publish our last paper somewhere. The options were to post it on a blog, facebook, or to submit it to the Daily Universe. The assignment was to take our first paper of the semester and make it 250 words from a 3-4 page paper. It was honestly one of the hardest assignments of the semester--second only to the research paper. I got it to exactly 250 words. Hopefully it makes sense...

Katie Shumway
Jon Wallin
English 150-79
22 April 2009

An Unnecessary Regulation

BYU is able to enact any policy they feel will benefit their 34,000 students. Each semester all students supply personal information. Policies require paper forms with specific signatures. Students also sign the Honor Code that states they will follow policies.
In 2007, the university required students living farther than two miles off campus to supply the verification of a parent that they are living at home. I file a waiver form; I live at home. If the form states that the student lives with a parent, why is integrity questioned and a parental signature required? Once the address is supplied, it should be sufficient for the duration of that living arrangement.
Once the form is delivered, the off-campus housing office has it on file. I have not moved and I receive continual e-mails reminding me to renew my housing agreement. It is the same form, same information—redundant, repetitive, and extremely inefficient.
One alternative may be to link the data already in Route Y to an off-campus housing database. If the form states that the student lives with a parent—on their honor, there should be no signature required. It should be the personal responsibility of the student to inform the university of address changes.
The university has an obligation to keep track of each student. In this case, repetitive information collected creates an unnecessary workload. If an address change is required, students should comply—on their honor.

1 comment:

Kar said...

A-freakin-men!

I've had like 3 off-campus housing fees slapped on my account when I lived at the same place (home). I even had the fee assessed when I took the semester off last year. I swear I re-submit that form every semester and I hate it.

This was an excellent essay. It's hard cutting a 3-4 page paper into 250 words, but you did an excellent job. If I were your professor, I would give you an A+!