I will say the same thing I said a month ago: time stands still...time marches on. Although in that respect it was a matter of several hours, now it is a month. One month. It feels like it has been ten years. There is a large hole in my heart--a large hole in my life. It will never be filled. The adjustment now is that I have to learn to live life with that hole.
As I look back at the last year I have no regrets. I did everything I knew how to do. I was the best "doberman" that I knew how to be. I was able to spend the last three months sleeping by his side when he was confined to bed--something I still miss. My bed is not as comfortable as the chair--or perhaps it is that my bed is no longer a place to find dad. I found comfort sleeping by his side. I am back in my room--alone. Selfish me wants to still sleep in the chair and have him back, even just for one night. I then realize that he would be brought back to intense pain, something so incomprehensible to me. He is free from that pain. I know where he is--he knows where I am--and that is how it will have to be, for a time.
In the past year I have changed. I always had a testimony. I knew the church was true. I knew I had a Savior who loved me. I knew all these things. I have found that my testimony is stronger than it has ever been. It isn't just the surface testimony--it goes much deeper--to a much more personal level. I don't know how to live without the gospel. I don't just have a Savior who loves me--My Savior loves me. He knows how I feel--the joy, anguish, sorrow, relief, numbness, pain, understanding, overwhelming love, and the intense sense of loss--He has felt it all and is comforting me when I need it. I know families are forever. I cling to this knowledge. The temple is God's house--a place I can go to feel his spirit. It is the closest place to heaven. The closest place to my dad. I have to continue to live worthily to enter His house.
5 comments:
Oh. My. Gosh. I just realized that Rhode Island Real Estate is listed under your favorites on your side bar. I now know why we are friends.
Katie. A few things.
1. I love you.
2. I miss you.
3. You need to update your blog more.
4. The floating baby on the side of your page really freaked me out.
Katie! I just found your blog (I didn't even know you blogged)!
So...I stalked it. And...it made me leak (via my tear ducts).
And, I know that you wrote this post (and the two previous) over a month ago, but I wanted to let you know that I really respect and look up to you. I can't even imagine losing a father, but I really admire the fact that you let it strengthen your testimony so powerfully and personally. Others use it as something to blame doubt and unbelief on, but you know better. You're strong.
I'm sure your father is proud of you.
Katie,
We are so sorry to hear about the passing of your father. We enjoyed getting to know him through you and the choir program at Provo High. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
Sincerely,
Cory and Aprel Mendenhall
You make me cry Kate. You have strengthened my testimony with this experience. I am so proud of you and I hope you know I love you and pray for you.
Post a Comment