Friday, July 16, 2010

There was this one time...

that Suzi and I decided to float the Provo River. She had done it before and we'd been talking about doing it for a year. We finally got around to it on Wednesday. We headed up the canyon, parked my car at the bottom, and continued on up. When we got in the water it was fa-reeeezzzing!! My teeth started chattering it was OH SO cold.

We sat down in the tubes and debated whether we wanted to go through with this. We finally pushed off from the bank...we were off! 30 seconds later, after 3 small waves, I fell off my tube. Awesome. I couldn't catch my breath I was so cold. After I got back on my tube we were off...again. I had a hard time balancing on my tube. If I leaned too far forward or backward I would fall. I had an awesome ab/neck/leg workout by the end! There were several spots along the river that the water was barely deep enough. Both Suz and I dragged bottom along the rocks. Ouch. I'm sure it would've hurt worse had we not been frozen.

We floated along, trying not to bother the 5 fishermen we passed, leisurely freezing. We looked ahead to see white-tipped rapids. I won't lie...I said "oh shit" a few times. Suzi made it through ahead of me. I got 3/4 of the way through and, you guessed it, I tipped over again. AND I lost the tube. Great. Suzi pulled over and I swam over to her. The tube had gotten stuck about 30 yards up. Suz gave me her tube and she started walking back up the side of the river to get my tube. When she got there and we decided we were ready we both sat down in the tubes. I was gonna wait for her to come down a little ways and then push off. Well, turns out there was too much air in my tube because 10 seconds after Suz was on the tube she tipped forward.

She came up, grabbed the tube, and swam back over to me. We couldn't stop laughing! Geez, this is quite the trip!! She said that when she went under she was freaking out because she couldn't see...it was because she was trying to see through her sunglasses--underwater. Ha ha. She figured out how to let air out of the tube with a stick--GENIUS! We finally got going and probably went another .5 miles and decided we were at the point we needed to get out. We pulled over and hiked up from the river to the road. We were a little ways from the car, but it was better getting out too early than too late. Our feet and legs were frozen so it felt like walking on stubs. We couldn't move our toes. Awesome. We ditched the tubes and walked the rest of the way to my car...which was lucky wasn't towed. Suzi told me to park at the Provo River Floating business area. Neither one of us saw the 'Private Property' and 'DO NOT PARK, WILL BE TOWED' signs. Anyway, we picked up the tubes and I drove her back up to her car. We loaded the tubes in her Jeep and I started to feel a stinging on my leg. I looked down and my legs and feet were all scratched up and there was a big gash on my shin. Apparently those times I fell out I got cut up by the rocks. Again, I had no idea any of this had happened because we were numb.

After we parted we texted back and forth. Both of us had actually turned the heater on in the car on the way home.

Katie: "My house is FREEZING! Darn that air conditioner!!"
Suz: "Oh crap! I ran the shower and scorched my skin...I was like feel the burn and blisters! I feel like I ran a race with my arms, there are weak sauce. How are your battle wounds?"
Katie: "My shins are ok...my feet are killing me! I won't be walking that 5K anytime soon. Ha ha. I was washing my feet and looked underneath to find a blood blister...EXCELLENT!! Ha. Thanks for going though...it was an experience to remember!!!"
Suz: Do they feel bruised and sore to step on? Blood blister. We might as well had someone kick the crap out of us, at least that wouldn't have been cold."

Suz: "Are you stiff? I ache all over!!!!!!"
Katie: "Ha ha! My feet and abs hurt the most..."


Katie: "HOLY. HELL!! Day two is WAY worse than day one. I've got two huge bruises on my bum from hitting rocks and can hardly walk...my feet are killing me! You still sore?"
Suz: "Oh I really killed you...I think I ban you from doing anything I suggest ever again!! Well, my feet are sore and i'm stiff, but it's nothing compared to yours--considering you balanced on the tube of death for half the river."
Katie: "I was surprised to see the bruises this morning...it was a dang good thing that water was so cold!"
Suz: "Well, who would have known the freezing cold water was a blessing! If it wasn't for that we would have been feeling all that bruising and scrapes. Our prayers were answered with the car and other ways. ha ha ha."
Yeah, we are awesome friends.

2 comments:

deb said...

http://debboe.blogspot.com/2007/07/my-brush-with-death.html

If only I could have warned you earlier. haha.

leslie said...

morgan and i did that once with some friends and their tube popped right at the beginning. since we were the smaller couple, i had to sit on his lap the whole time. not fun. oh, and it was in october. boo.