Saturday, January 1, 2011

"WE FOOLED GRANDMA!" -Jakie.

By far, the best Christmas surprise ever! About a week before Christmas I was feeling bad about not being able to be together as a family for Christmas. We had looked before and couldn't afford to go out to Pittsburgh and they couldn't afford to come here. It was never an option. I decided to look--just for fun--at ticket prices. I looked at Southwest because they are usually cheaper than most and Rick likes to fly Southwest. $1500. Yeah, there was no way we could bring them out for that price.

I was pretty bummed, but then had the impression to check Delta--the only true airline. [sidenote: Delta is what dad always flew on his business trips so he accrued many frequent flier miles with them. We would use those miles for our family vacations, so Delta is what I always flew growing up.] Turns out Delta, a week before I wanted them to come out and two weeks before Christmas, was significantly cheaper! I called Rick and discussed the options and we ended up all splitting the cost--our Christmas present to everyone was to be together. Best Christmas Present EVER!

Rick and Sarah told Jake that day that they were coming here for Christmas, but that he couldn't tell Grandma. One day he was talking to her on the phone, realized he was about to say something, covered his mouth while handing the phone to Rick, and ran away. Such a good, super cute, secret keeper! Rick almost blew it twice! He told her that they had Christmas presents that couldn't go on the plane...which made mom suspicious. He had to come up with something quick--Sarah was going to go to Texas for Christmas. Mom was quite bummed about that. Little did she know she was in for the best surprise of her life! Here is the video of them 'fooling,' and surprising, the greatest grandma in the world.

Shumway Christmas 2010 was a success!

1 comment:

Dave said...

My brother and his family did that to us as well. It was quite a surprise and a very fun Christmas!!