Thursday, May 24, 2012

My First Teaching Dream

It happened.  I had my first teaching dream.  It was terrible!  It started out with me walking into my old 4th grade classroom--which was in a portable.  It was the first day of school.  The principal had failed to give me a key all summer long, so there was nothing in my classroom.  The desks were shoved in a corner.  I walked in and all 30 fifth graders followed me.


They ate me alive.  All morning long.


I had not prepared anything for the first day.  I was scrambling for something to do, but came up with nothing.  I remember feeling relieved when it was time for lunch.  I sent them out and sat in the corner sobbing.  And that was it.  If this happens, i'll know teaching is not for me.


I told my aunt, who also teaches, about this dream.  She said, "just wait.  Every year without fail, I had a bad teaching dream.  It usually involved me showing up naked to school."  How terrible is that?!


Speaking of "real" dreams--or ones that feel so real--I had the weirdest dream about Allie.  I was in Arizona with her and she had gotten married the day after she went through the temple.  Her "reception" was in her living room.  I went there and she said she was still going on your mission...even though she was married.  Her husband wouldn't talk to me--he just kept nodding at everything I said.  Then it was time for her to leave and go to the airport...to go on her mission...right after her wedding reception.  It was CRAZY!!!


I wrote to her about this dream.  I closed the letter with, "why didn't you tell me you were dating anyone?!  Are you secretly married right now?  I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if you are secretly married and I wasn't invited, I'M GOING TO BE TICKED."  Jokes.  I'd only be a little bit mad.  :)  This was all said in a sarcastic tone.  In the letter to her family that week she wrote, "no Katie, i'm not secretly married.  Sorry."  And that was it. Not that she needed to explain anything, but i'm sure they think i'm super weird.  Ha!  I would.

No comments: