Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Bucket List

Last Monday we received the news that the chemotherapy Dad has been doing for the last four months has not been working. The cancer has advanced. We sat down as a family and Dad asked us to make a "bucket list" of sorts--things that would make us all happy.

I know that Mom said Disneyland with Jakie. That would make us all happy. I would love to go on a "Kate Date." I would like to go to dinner with you at The Roof. I want us to have a wii bowling tournament. I want to watch good movies with you. Most of all I just want to spend time with you. I want to be there for everything...i'm your doberman!

Mom gave Dad The Bucket List DVD for Christmas. I had never seen it. I watched it tonight and sobbed. I did not know that John Mayer wrote his song "Say" for this movie. This line was particularly appropriate to the situation. "You know that in the end, it's better to say too much, than never to say what you need to say."

Speak your love, then speak it again.

4 comments:

Emma said...

Wow. Cancer sucks. It sounds like your dad is such a positive person while he's going through this (and I know the rest of you are doing all you can too!) The Lord's will is not always ours, and that can be frustrating, exhausting, sad, infuriating, difficult etc. But He knows what He's doing, and as hard as it is to accept, I know you will be a survivor, and you will be taken care of by Him. I know this. You are a daughter of God, and He LOVES you!

I don't like to get all spiritual, but I felt like I needed to say something. I care about you, and want you to be happy.

Kar said...

I'm so so sorry.

Steve & Amy Shumway said...

We keep you guys in our prayers every night! love you!

Crystal said...

Katie, I'm so sorry about your dad. I'm praying for you and your family, hang in there. Lots of love.