Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Does he realize what he has?

Does he realize the value of that relationship? Does he know and feel that love through the small hug?

I went back to work today. It was fine--pretty standard "first day back after a funeral" day--if there is a standard. I was walking back up to the unit and was following a dad and his family to visit their mom. I rode the elevator with them and watched their interactions. I let them off and was able to follow them down the hall. I watched the dad make his way from one side of the hall to the other and put his arm around his son's shoulder. I lost it. I wanted to make sure that the 15 year-old boy knew what he had! I wanted to tell him to love his parents. Small interactions like this have gotten to me. I don't think situations and interactions such as this will ever cease to affect me. I love and miss my dad.

1 comment:

Lara said...

This made me think about the same thing with my dad. Thank you for putting things into perspective.

Hope you are well and breathing well outside of that submarine. I want to hear the story!