Friday, December 18, 2009

A Very Merry Christmas Indeed.

All I wanted before the snow came was to have my dad's headstone in. I was so excited when they put in the base of the stone several weeks ago. I called and asked when the top would be in and they said for sure by Friday. Saturday rolled around and there was no top--and that is the day that the huge snowstorm came. I settled on the thought that at least the base was in and we would have to wait for the top until Spring.
Yesterday I had a particularly difficult day. I had an appointment in the same office where the cancer center is. I could feel my heart begin beating out of my chest as we approached the desk. Tears were stinging my eyes, but I thought I could hold them back. I walked through the door to go back and completely lost it. I sobbed the entire appointment and had a hard time gaining composure. I got out as soon as I could. I refuse to go back--i'll just have to find another doctor. I went to the cemetery just because. When I got there I had a surprise! The headstone had been put on. Luckily I had my camera with me and could get a few pictures. Merry Christmas to me!!

The quote underneath our names says, "To believe in God is to know that all the rules will be fair, and that there will be wonderful SURPRISES!" My dad loved that quote.

Below is why i'm super smart. I had shoes on that couldn't get wet. There is a lot of snow to get out to the grave. I looked around in my car and saw that I had some flip flops. I thought i'd just put those on and then go out. Well, the snow was cold. And my feet started to freeze. And then as I was walking back to the car the snow, which was hard and sharp, cut my foot. Another reason I would've been a sucky pioneer. I started to cry again because it hurt.
Don't worry now. I'm all healed.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Awe, I'm so glad that you got your Christmas wish. That is neat. And I, too, would be a sucky pioneer. I would have been one of those pioneers that died like a mile into the journey, or faked an illness to ride in the wagon the rest of the way.

Kar said...

Merry Christmas! Sorry you had a bad day.

Tara said...

The headstone is beautiful! I can't wait to go and see it.