
I have often heard the die-hard "Y" fans who honestly believe that BYU really is the only true university.
I have a few friends that I tease and pretend to be one of those students. I always say that I am IN the university, but not OF the university. I had a text conversation with Bryce and thought it humorous enough to share. After church we were talking about BYU...of course...and we didn't know the mascot of BYU-Idaho. I went home and asked my friend who went there. They are the Vikings. I text him and told him that.
Katie: "BYU-Idaho's mascot is a Viking. Awesome."
Bryce: "That school can't be true. Vikings don't have anything to do with the gospel."
Katie: "I tried to think of a cleaver way to incorporate cougars into the gospel, but I can't. It must not be the Lord's University after all."
Bryce: "Technically a cougar is a predator. So that says that BYU is of the devil!"
Katie: "God created cougars and they are fulfilling the measure of their creation by hunting other animals--which in turn then go to live with God...so we are returning choice spirits to live with Him."
Bryce: "Okay crazy...is that what murderers do too?"
Katie: "What the hell is a wolverine anyway?! It kills things too!!"
(after much contemplation on the subject, I decided to text him my testimony)
"I have a testimony. I know the church is true and I know that BYU is the Lord's University--MY university. I know that I am blessed each day I step on the holy campus. Class begins and ends with prayer--what other witness of the Spirit do you need? Divine revelation and inspiration is received each day. I know this to be true. I've felt the burning in my bosom. Amen."
Bryce: "Wow. I'm touched...I don't even know what to say."
Katie: "That 'touched' feeling is something you need to act upon. That is the Spirit testifying to you that everything you just heard is correct. So transfer to the Y and have that feeling to be constantly with you."
Bryce: "Ha ha! I feel the Spirit more at UVU than anywhere else on earth!"
Katie: "Tell that to Heavenly Father when he asks you about the spirit you feel in the temple! His Spirit prevails on His Campus!!"
Bryce: "I WILL SOONER DIE! than go to BYU! Except on skolarship..."
Katie: "You are one stellar SCHOLAR! Ha ha. I have some friends on the admissions board...i'll give them your name and tell them to look for your application."
Bryce: "It won't happen."
Katie: "I'll just have to pray for you then."
Didn't I play the "BYU IS SUPERIOR" student well?? I thought so.

BYU--where your best hasn't been good enough since 1875.

I really am lucky to be able to go to BYU. I enjoy it--most days. YAY for summer breaks!
2 comments:
3rd counselor? I hate BYU wards. I think I was chosen so that I would actually have to go.
I don't go to BYU, or even UVU. I'm a step down at MATC. I think that makes me extra evil and less of a mormon. Dang
Post a Comment