Friday, November 23, 2012

THIS is why I teach.

I've gotten multiple emails "thanking" me for what I do.  I don't ever think, "gee, i'm the best teacher."  In fact, most often I see all the places where i'm failing.  These kinds of emails always make my day and make me feel like I must be doing something right.  I opened this one this morning.   



Miss Shumway,

Thank you so much for the great job you are doing! [C.] sure is a fan. The other day he was telling us how much he enjoys school and referred to you as his best friend. It was so cute! He sort of caught how strange that must have sounded and tried to clarify by telling us how kind and motivating you are. "What I mean is, she is a GREAT teacher," he clarified. Still, the friend remark made my wife and I feel such gratitude for the positive learning environment you create for him and all your students. Thanks again and have a super Thanksgiving.



      Day made.  And week, month, and year.  I don't aim to be a "best friend," but I do want each of my students to feel valued and loved--yes, even the tough ones.    I absolutely LOVE my job.  I am so thankful for this blessing.  I admit they are not all perfect days, but each morning I am happy to get up and go to work.  I get so excited to see my students and miss them when I don't see them everyday.  One student asked what I was doing over Thanksgiving.  I said I was staying around here with family.  "Then maybe we could just come to school and you could teach me!"  I almost took her up on that offer.    It's Friday and I am having a fantastic break!!  ....but I sure am glad I get to see all my kids on Monday morning. :)

No comments: