Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Agency

This kind of a post is a little out of the norm for me, so apologies in advance.

Since I was 16 I have worked with older people. I read the obituaries everyday to see if anyone I've taken care of has passed away. I love my job. I know what works best for older people with broken hips, knee replacements, and generally getting old. I'm not saying I'm an expert by any means, but I know the basics.
I spent several hours with my Grandparents this afternoon. I took them to their physical therapy that they go to everyday. I know that they are getting old and my Grandfather has had several falls recently; as recently as this afternoon. I came home so frustrated. I know that they need to be in an assisted living where he has a call button for times when he falls so he doesn't lay on the floor for an hour. I told my dad that they need to go, it isn't a choice anymore.
After I had cooled down a little bit he told me that he agrees 100% with me, but that we can't force them to go. You can talk and try and tell them that they need to go, but ultimately it is up to them to make the decision. When he said that I got even more frustrated. Then he put it into a gospel perspective.
God thought that agency was ultimately one of the most important things and Satan didn't. He wanted to force us back to heaven. I think I got to experience a small amount of what Heavenly Father must feel when he knows the choices we should be making and we use our agency to choose otherwise.

1 comment:

Kar said...

Your Dad is so wise. I had never thought of that before.