Monday, January 23, 2012

WHITE. BORN AND RAISED PROVONIAN.

FAMILY

Immediate and extended family are an integral part of who I am and what defines me.  While I was born and raised in Provo, Utah, it has not hindered me in my experience of other cultures and diverse people.  We have traveled all across the United States as a family and have visited many of the LDS and US history sites.  My oldest brother has lived in Seattle and Pittsburgh.  We visited him and his family often.  This provided many opportunities to experience the diverse cultures in both of those cities.

My extended family is also very important to me.  This is a picture of the WELCOME sign to Shumway, Arizona.  My great-great-grandfather Charles Shumway was one of the first saints to cross the Mississippi River in the exodus west.  He was also one of the first companies to arrive in Salt Lake.  Once here, he was called by Brigham Young to settle several different cities in Utah.  His last calling was to go down and settle in Arizona.  He did this and we now have a city named after us.  Most of my extended family resides in Taylor and Snowflake, AZ--right near Shumway.  Brigham Young, speaking of Charles, said  "there was never a more faithful man in the Church. He was a man who was not wed to his gold. He would give everything he had to the Church, to the building of the Kingdom of God."  This is something that has been passed down for generations.  The church is a very important part of my life, my families' lives, and my extended families' lives.



CONCERTS


I am a lover of all types of music!  My playlist is quite varied--hard rock, classical, reggae, and the Tabernacle Choir to name a few.  This picture is of my brother and I at The Wailer's concert in Park City. I have attended many different concerts--all that attract a different "crowd."  Because of my varied taste, I have been able to meet many different types of people.  I always felt that I was an accepting person, but I have especially seen this in my concert attendance.  I share a common enjoyment of the music with my fellow concert-goers.  I have found that most people aren't there to judge...only to enjoy something we both love--MUSIC!  

I could spend hours on YouTube.  I love to laugh!  I am always in search of a new funny YouTube clip.  As previously stated, I love to listen to music.  I almost always have a YouTube tab open and am listening or watching something.  This represents the technology age that I am a part of.  You can find anything you want on the internet.  This is a huge part of who I am--and who we all are.  I have sometimes thought, "how did mom and dad make it through school and life without google?"  This is something that is unique to me and to my generation.  I love the availability of YouTube, as well as the freedom of expression this provides to me and to everyone that chooses to take advantage of it.  

No comments: