Friday, May 4, 2012

Saying Goodbye--or SEE YOU LATER.


This was me yesterday.  At least the "be...strong..." part.  It'll be me this weekend when I have to say goodbye again.  Why are my best friends leaving me at the same time?!  Seriously.

Sidenote:


Yes, Kara tweeted this conversation we had, along with the caption--I AM YOUR BEST FRIEND.  She is correct.  :)  She really really is.

Allie went into the MTC yesterday and Kar is moving to Texas on Sunday.  Seriously??  Couldn't they have planned it better than that?!  UGH.

Let me back up 10 days ago.  The new Spring term was going to start.  Allie had already gone home to Arizona.  We had kind of said goodbye, but knew we were going to grab Sonic one last time before she went into the MTC.  I was super sad and depressed and moping around.  Then I thought, "why don't I fly down and go to her farewell?"  I pulled up the KAYAK app on my phone and searched for flights out on the weekend.  $500+.  Yeah.  No way that I could afford that.  I went to bed sad.  I had a dream in the middle of the night to try flying out on Saturday instead of Friday--cheaper flights!!  I immediately started planning everything.  I called Jodi first.  She didn't answer.  I called again.  Still didn't answer!  So I left an awesome message telling her I was coming to Arizona.  I was giddily excited!  I really wanted this to work out.  I went to class and told my friends what I was planning on doing.  Jasmine said she wanted to go too.  SO, right after class, we booked our tickets!!  WE WERE GOING TO ARIZONA!  We decided it would be the most fun if we just surprised Allie instead of telling her that we were coming.

This all happened on Tuesday.  Can I just tell you how loooooooooong the week was to make it all the way to Saturday?!

When Saturday finally rolled around, we were ready.  I could not stop smiling!  WE WERE GOING TO SEE ALLIE AND SHE DIDN'T KNOW IT!  I woke up at 4 a.m. because I was too excited to sleep.  I had text Jasmine the night before and told her I felt like a kid on Christmas Eve.  She asked if Allie represented Santa.  Of course!  I responded that Allie brings joy and happiness to young and old all over the world.  :)

The plane ride was uneventful (other than I had NO issues with claustrophobia--MIRACLE!) except for the old lady that Jasmine became bff's with.  Also, a little side note: I knew I was flying into Phoenix when 92% of the plane was filled with old people ordering tomato juice to drink.  Anyway, we had google mapped the route to Allie's house from the airport.  When we got to AZ, Jasmine and I just kept saying, "Allie is only 22 minutes away from us--and she doesn't know we are here!!!!" And then we'd just keep super smiling at each other.

The Plan: Go to Sonic.  Buy dc's with raspberry and vanilla.  Call Allie while we were at Sonic and see if she was home.  Go and surprise her.

It worked out PERFECTLY.  At Sonic we called Allie.  "Just calling you from Sonic because we miss you."  We chatted for a bit--found out she wasn't doing anything that night because her little sister was going to prom (excellent!).  After a bit she said, "well, i'm not really sure why you guys called."  Best. line. ever.  :)  Allie never was a phone talker.  Haha.  We planned to Skype with her later that night.  She had no idea we were 4 minutes from her house!

I was bursting with excitement at this point!!  We pulled into her neighborhood and parked at her neighbor's house.  I'll let the videos do the surprise part...


THAT'S IT!  Just kidding.  Jasmine's camera stopped momentarily.  What you don't hear is Allie saying, "oh...my...gosh..." then the video picks up again here.


And they couldn't believe that we flew.  Needless to say, I was super excited and happy.  Allie got teary...which in turn made me watery-eyed.  I LOVE SURPRISES!!


We spent that afternoon and evening just hanging out.  She took us to an authentic Mexican restaurant--delicious!  I usually am not a fan of venturing out of the norm, but this was so yummy!  Jodi met up with us later on and we continued the evening.  SO good to be able to hang out with her again!  Sometimes I get nervous introducing/hanging out/combining two different groups of friends.  However, these two groups are equally funny, so I figured they'd get along well.

Jodi was kind enough to let us crash at her place that night.  We drove out, saw her cute apartment, and then talked for a bit.  I decided I was going to shower so I didn't have to wake up any earlier to dry my hair.  (Allie's Sacrament meeting started at 8:30 and we were an hour away.  Church in Zion doesn't even start at 8:30!!)  After showering I came out and laid down on the couch.  I had been up since 4 a.m., and it was currently 1 a.m.  I was exhausted.  To quote Jodi, "thanks for falling asleep in .25 seconds."  Haha.  I told her I wouldn't post this picture on the fb, but I made no promises about the blog!  She was kind enough to wake up early and say goodbye.  It was good to see you Jod!!  I'm glad we could have a combined JAD and KAD!  Also, thanks for just waking up and making me look prettier than you. :)


LOOK GUYS!  I was even on her calendar.  I felt loved. :)


Allie did an amazing job on her farewell talk.  They had a family musical number that all her extended family sang in.  Allie stood right in front of her dad.  They did the Primary song "A Child's Prayer."  As the men started singing the second verse Allie looked back at her dad and smiled.  I started crying.  What a special moment that i'm sure no one else noticed.  I always want to tell everyone love your dad!!

When the meeting ended I expected to head back to her house for food and mingling.  Nope.  I guess they only do that in Utah??  What?  We hung around the chapel, took tons of pictures (her mom takes pictures all the time.  They have a scrapbook for each year of their lives...), then moved into the foyer and continued talking.  We met her family--hilarious!  Great people.  Then, on to Relief Society.  They stayed for all 3 hours of church!!  What is this? ??  I totally vote for Sacrament Meeting and food.  :)

We headed back to her house after church to grab some diet cokes and head over to her grandparents house.  They don't believe in soda, so you have to bring your own.  More chatting.  These people are so funny.  It was so much fun.

The time rolled around that we needed to head to the airport.  I knew we'd see each other on Wednesday, but I still had a hard time.  I cried all the way to the airport.  Jasmine wouldn't look at me--she didn't want to cry. :)  18 months is a really long time.  Boo.


Yesterday I met Allie at Sonic and we enjoyed one last dc.  SO sad.  I took her up and dropped her off at the MTC.  Did I cry?  Yes.  Yes I did.  I asked the elders standing there to take a picture.  "We aren't allowed to."  Seriously elder??  BREAK A RULE!! Geez.  I snapped a quick pic...and that was it.  And then I cried and cried.  Also, I tried to style my hair differently.  Total fail.  I look so lame--so ignore my hair.  And my face.  Just look at how cute Allie is.




NOW!  My real best friend Kar.  Haha.  I really don't know what to say about my best friend of 18 years.  Eighteen years. If our friendship was a person, we'd be legal to be dated by old men.

As i've thought about the things we've gone through together, it amazes me.  I've gone through some tough stuff, and each step of the way I can look back and see Kar--always there.  I shouldn't write these things late at night; all I do is sob.  Kar has been an integral part of my life.  I do not know what i'm going to do without her.  She's always been a phone call and 5 minute drive away.  What am I going to do?



We made a table.  We broke other people's sprinkler heads while trying to provide service.  We had a goal to visit all the Chili's in Utah.  She introduced me to MJ.  We threw ourselves a birthday party and invited lots of people so we could get more presents.  Spanish class with Sherri Eyre and you not wanting to be associated with me.  She was the first person I told and asked advice from about a certain situation.  Her quilting class in high school.  She made me an awesome baby blanket that is in my cedar chest waiting until I can use it for my baby.  Driving to Park City with the windows down and having that bee hit you in the face.  You were freaking out.  I grabbed an envelope and scooped it up.  I'm glad we survived that attack.  We became CNA's together--and she can give you 5 different names for poop.  We had a rough patch in middle school.  No, we don't talk about it.  Realizing that Johnny Depp was in fact NOT as famous as Jesus.  Driving in my car and having the discussion/deciding that we were official best friends.  I don't use that term lightly since that conversation.  You are my best friend.  Rear ending that Italian lady driving into Macey's and you making me call your parents.  Sacramento and Clarence the dog, who loved you.  Asking "Mr. Jensen" if we could borrow a movie.  PHS sports hall and my shoes.  Drury's class. Big Gulps.  Sending me a picture of you on the beach in Hawaii with "HI KATIE!" written in the sand.  Taking me for a "ride" while you were learning to drive stick--and throwing up after.  Ryan Dubois!  Red Rock trips.  Severus Snape birthday present!  1,000 point to Kar for being the best friend ever!!  You calling me and asking me how to gamble.  SLC history class with a Ferris Bueller professor.  Speeding to Hatch's and literally running in before they locked the door.  Driving your car home from Park City and Shaylee commenting on the clouds while you slept.  Your rearview mirror that always fell off.  You were the only person I wanted to see after my dad passed away.  You were the first to show up.  You've changed my life.

I would not be the person I am today if it weren't for you.

I was saying goodbye to my Grandma one night.  It was towards the end of her life.  I said it and she quickly corrected me.  "Katie, it's not goodbye--it's see you later."  So, dear friend, i'll see you later.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Did you watch that Dumb and Dumber clip all the way to the end? I like that whoever made it made it for Emily Chelsey, and Misty.

OH MY HELL THAT PICTURE. Thanks for putting the worst picture of me ever on your blog. I hope that's how you'll always remember me.

"They don't believe in soda, so you have to bring your own."

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahaha.